Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Barbie Deck

I think I've mentioned before that I have picked up a variety of interesting decks at garage sales and thrift stores.  I don't do readings with these decks, but they're fun to have and play with.  The more unusual the deck is, the more fun that I have just looking at it and giggling over it.  Just because I giggle over it doesn't mean that I can't see someone else finding great use from it - it just means that I personally wouldn't be able to use that deck at this point in time.

One thing I am very curious about is if there's anyone out there using the Barbie Tarot Deck.  I do not have this deck, but I spent a good portion of my Sunday looking it over and just feeling the astonishment at it.  I have no idea why it would astonish me this much -  the idea of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Tarot Deck (canceled before it was released) didn't leave me absolutely giddy, and I am a serious Joss Whedon fan.

I love that the King cards include Barbie because, in the words of their creator, what is Ken without Barbie?  I also love that the creator discusses her feminist faith and reasoning behind using Barbie. She doesn't sound apologetic; she's just explaining why she chose this medium!

My favorite cards in this deck are the Major Arcana.  Specifically, the Chariot card.  Look at this.

 
She used Gay Ken in this card.  It's just a fun interpretation that he and that other Ken in the tux are out for their own wild adventures.  
Her interpretations of the Minor Arcana are quite interesting, too.   The Wands are, indeed, wands/staffs.  But the other Minor Arcana took an about face.  The Pentacles cards became the Purses cards because Barbie isn't generally shown with money, but she's got many purses!  The Swords are Hats since they represent Air, and Barbie is well known for her couture!  Interestingly enough, the Cups become Flowers.
This  deck is so much fun!  The creator has also made a Trek Tarot Deck.  Unfortunately, neither of these deck is available for sale, which is a shame.  Usually, unless I plan on regularly reading with a deck, I won't buy it brand new.  I would purchase a Star Trek deck brand new, at full price, without any second thoughts!  The Barbie Deck, I am not 100% sure that I'd purchase brand new, but I am fairly sure that I would do so.
I'm currently making a new Tarot bag, and interestingly enough, I started knitting it on Sunday morning just before I discovered the Barbie Tarot deck.  Why is that interesting?  Because it's Barbie-pink!  Now I am actually tempted to find a Barbie charm and to use this particular bag for a regular deck of cards and make myself a different bag for my other cards. It's a quick and easy knit using Morgan Greer's free Knitted Tarot Case pattern.  I planned to post a photo of my unfinished bag, but for some reason, the "insert a picture" link is not working.  Just trust me.  It's very, very pink!  When I'm done, I'll make sure that the picture posts.

2 comments:

Kim E Upton said...

That deck looks like it is totally made of AWESOME! :)

Almost all my tarot cases are knitted. :) Love that pattern.

Me, Myself, and I said...

I know! Isn't that deck crazy wild? I wish that I had a printer and a decent/affordable way to print those up. I'm actually contemplating saving them (she said we could use them) and then sending them to Snapfish.